Principal’s Update 1/25/16
1. We continue to look for ways to improve our students’ mastery in Language Arts and math. Beginning in February, we will pull students from related arts class, 2-3 times per week, to practice College and Career Readiness skills and test-taking skills. We are also looking for ways to dedicate more instructional time in those core subjects. We want every student to grow at least a grade level in skills and knowledge each year at GCJHS!
2. The ISTEP load test went well last week. We are confident that this year our students will have a smooth testing experience. Please encourage your child as we build up to the testing time. A positive, “can-do” attitude is half the battle!
“On the Road to High School”
Attention Parents of 8th Graders: It’s Freshman Scheduling Time for the Class of 2020!
Parents and 8th grade students:
With the start of second semester, it is time to start the transition process to Greenfield-Central High School. Over the next few weeks, you will have the opportunity to attend several programs in order to complete the scheduling process for your child’s freshman year. The highlighted events of “On the Road to High School” include:
Monday, February 22nd, 2016
6:00 – 7:00 PM – “The End Zone” Open House – A chance for students and parents to learn about athletics, clubs, academic, and extra-curricular activities at G-CHS (Cafeteria). Please make sure to pick up your registration packet in the library before entering the auditorium.
7:00 – 8:00 PM – Class of 2020 Presentation for Parents – An introduction to the freshman scheduling process for parents and students for the Class of 2020 only (current 8th graders) – Auditorium
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016
Parents may go on-line via the GCJHS website and select a freshman scheduling appointment. These appointments will be 20 minutes in length during the school day (8:30 – 3:00) on March 7-11 and March 14-18. Please check the availability for your student’s counselor listed below. Please check the GCJHS website beginning February 23rd, 2016 in order to schedule your appointment. If you are unable to register on-line, please contact Mrs. Belcher, Mrs. Fortuna, or Mrs. Leonard (477-4616) and one of them will be happy to help you schedule your appointment. St. Michael’s students will have individual scheduling appointments on March 3rd.
Counselors are assigned according to your student’s last name.
Mr.Horsman Last names A-E March 8, 9, 10, 15, 16
Mrs.Foster Last names F-L March 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16
Mrs. Knecht Last names M – Sq March 7, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17
Mrs. Kile Last names St – Z March 7, 8, 17
Friday, February 26th, 2016
8th Grade U.S. History classes– Group Scheduling Meeting – a counselor from Greenfield-Central High School will meet with your student’s 8th grade U.S. History class to go over the scheduling process and answer questions students may have about their four-year plans and diploma-track selection. St. Michael’s students will have a group scheduling meeting on March 3rd.
Friday, March 4th, 2016
9:30– 10:00 AM– There will be a short presentation for all 8th graders given by Mr. Bryant, Mr. Oliver, Mr. Manning and Mrs. Coleman. This will be at GCJHS.
March 7th – 11th and March 14th-18th, 2016
8:30 AM – 3:00 PM – Individual scheduling appointments – 8th graders and their parents will meet with a high school counselor in 20-minute appointments to schedule for the freshman year. Please bring your packet of information and questions with you to this appointment!
May 19th, 2016
9:00AM – 12:30 PM– “On the Road to High School” – GCJHS 8th graders will tour G-CHS and meet faculty members, staff, and current students.
1. The GCJHS PTO will have the following two volunteer positions available for the 2016/17 school year. The position will begin in May.
The President shall serve as leader and key contact for the PTO; preside at all PTO meetings; ex-officio member of most committees; appoint chairpersons for special committees; coordinate the work of the officers and committees so that the PTO’s objectives can be met.
The Vice President shall act as an aide to the President; perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of that officer to serve; assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Board; coordinate the general activities of any Special Committees created by the Executive Board.
Interested people should contact [email protected] for more information.
2. If you know someone who would like to receive the GCJHS parent newsletter, please let them know they can sign up on our webpage.
3. We have multiple ways for you to obtain information regarding what’s happening at GCJHS.
Facebook – Greenfield Central Junior High School
Instagram- gc_jhs and gcjhs_principal
4. Breakfast is available to students every morning before school.
5. We would love for everyone to register the Junior High on your Marsh Fresh Idea card. This is a simple, 3 minute web task. We use the points from Marsh to buy supplies and materials for the classroom! Go to http://www.freshideasforeducation.com and enter our school code: 49955
February 3: Science Fair
February 5: Choir Solo and Ensemble
February 15: President’s Day (No school /Make up day, if necessary)
March 1: Round 1 of ISTEP begins
Dan Jack, Principal
Greenfield Central Junior High