Principal’s Update May 17, 2021
- Weekly lesson plans posted by teachers.
- Our Choir Concert is Wednesday, May 19. Here is the schedule:
6:00pm- 7th grade Girls Choir(girls should report for a quick rehearsal at 5:30pm)
6:30pm- 8th grade Girls Choir (girls should report to the stage at 6:20pm)
7:00pm-7th grade Boys Choir(boys should report to the stage at 6:50pm)
7:30pm-8th grade Boys Choir (boys should report to the stage at 7:20pm)
- The Indiana Department of Education created a survey for parents to help us gauge how this year went with the various challenges and interruptions. Please take ten minutes this week to answer the survey.
- All students must turn in the ipad, keyboard, and an ipad charger at the end of the school year. If you have lost or damaged your charger, please purchase a replacement from a local store. It must be a 12 watt ipad charger.
- Our end-of-the-year awards will be virtual this spring. Teachers are recording short videos and we will make them available on our web page next week.
- 2020-2021 Yearbooks are available for sale from Mr. Stutesman for $30. Students who have purchased a yearbook will be given an opportunity to come together to sign others’ yearbooks.
Current 7th Grade Student Information
We have some exciting summer programs available to rising 7th and 8th graders. Space is limited. Registration closes May 24.
This is an example of what an 8th grade schedule might look like for next school year (not necessarily in this order). We are going back to 7 periods in our school day. All students will take the four core classes of English, Math, Science, and U.S. History. Students will have some flexibility with the remaining related arts classes. Please keep in mind that our English and Math support classes will be added to schedules as needed.
4. US History
5. Prep for College & Careers/Health (1 semester each)
6. FACT (FACS, Art, Computers, Technology Education) 9 weeks each
7. Advanced PE/Personal Finance (1 semester each)
The following classes will replace the spots 7,6,5, in that order:
Band, Choir, Orchestra, Spanish I, Lab Classes, RTI or other Pull-out classes.
Current 8th Grade Student Information
If your child is taking high school PE this summer, she/he will keep her/his ipad until the end of summer school. We will still check the device for damage at the end of the school year.
Summer School at GCHS begins June 1. Information for students enrolled in Summer School will be sent through Google Classroom and to students’ email.
Virtual School Information
- Device Collection- Virtual Students will have a drive-thru drop off May 25th, 4-6pm at the bus-rider entrance (Door 9) Students will need to turn off their passcode to the ipad and sign out of their Apple ID on the device prior to drop off.
- If you are having technology trouble, email our tech team at [email protected]
- All students should be logged into Google classroom every day. We ask parents to check Powerschool and help to encourage your child to log in to Google Classroom daily, and complete all assigned work. Powerschool may not have an accurate schedule. Here is the daily schedule for students.
May 19: Choir Concert
May 27: Last Student Day
Here is a link to GC Summer Camps
Any student who plans to participate in summer workouts, conditioning, open gym, etc, or who plans to participate in athletics during the 2021-22 school year, needs to turn in a new athletic physical. The physical must be on the IHSAA athletic physical form and be dated on/after April 1, 2021. If the physical meets these requirements, it will be valid for the entire 2021-22 school year.
Additionally, new RankOne online forms must be submitted for the 2021-22 school year. Those forms will be available online within the next 7-10 days.
If your child is home sick or is a close contact, we have asked teachers to continue to have their live classes in google meet, when possible. Make sure your child logs in from home for each class, according to their schedule. Some classes may just have simple instructions for the assignment, while others may be live for the whole period.
Please remind your child the importance of washing hands and wearing a mask over his/her mouth and nose while at school. We want to keep everyone safe and healthy.
If someone in your home is waiting for COVID test results, call our office and keep your child home until the results come back.
The COVID-19 Screening for Parents provided by the Indiana State Department of Health lists the following symptoms that will result in a student being sent home, or signal for a parent to keep a student home:
- Temperature of 100 or chills
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Cough or shortness of breath (especially new onset, uncontrolled cough)
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- Headache (particularly new onset of severe headache, especially with fever)
- New loss of taste or smell
- This list does not include all possible symptoms. Other symptoms
may be considered when determining when a student should stay home.
*If your child or someone in the household is waiting for test results, please do not send the children to school.
Should your student or someone in the household test positive for COVID-19, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible.
You may call the dedicated GC COVID-positive test result line at
(317) 477-4116 (this is a dedicated voicemail box and is not answered by school personnel) or email [email protected].
Please leave your student’s name, date of birth, date of test, and your
telephone number and email address. A GC nurse will be in contact with you as soon as possible following notification.
If you have a child who is quarantined (either as a close contact or someone who had the virus), please make sure they are engaging in their classes while they are gone. Everyone should log into their google classroom according to the daily schedule, when at home, unless they are too sick to work.
We have multiple ways for you to obtain information regarding what’s happening at GCJHS.
Facebook – Greenfield Central Junior High School
PowerSchool App- Get up-to-date grades for your child, missing or incomplete assignments, attendance and school announcements. Search for “PowerSchool Mobile” in your App Store. Once you download the app, you can search by school or type in school code 3125.