Principal’s Update 2/5/19
1. The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) has chosen GCJHS to participate in their national sampling in math and reading assessments. Approximately 50 students have been randomly chosen to participate. We will be notifying students of their selection on Tuesday, February 5th. Please see the attachment for more information.
2. Parents of 8th grade students: With the start of second semester, it is time to start the transition process to Greenfield-Central High School. Over the next few weeks, you will have the opportunity to attend several programs in order to complete the scheduling process for your child’s freshman year. Next Wednesday, the high school will host “On the Road to High School” with the Class of 2023 Presentation for Parents and Students at 6:00 PM followed by the “The End Zone” Open House from 6:30–7:30 PM. Even if you have older children that have been through G-CHS, there are new laws that affect the graduation path for the class of 2023, and beyond. Please make every effort to attend.
3. Washington D.C. and Chicago Trip payments were due this month. Please make sure to let Grueninger Tours know if you decided not to go on the trip (317) 581-1122. We have a few students on a wait list.
4. D.C. Yankee Candle fundraiser money will be applied to the last payment.
The roommate request form for DC has been sent to students in Google Classroom. Students will sleep four to a room. The room lists are usually posted after Spring Break.
5. National Junior Honor Society applications are due Tuesday, February 5, 2019.
6. FUSE is pleased to announce that our after school social skills program, called BOSS, will be offered once a week. BOSS provides instruction in skills that all children need to have successful social interactions with their peers, teachers and neighbors. Well-developed social skills are important because good social skills can positively influence academic performance, behavior, social and family relationships, and participation in extracurricular and community activities. For detailed information about the program, eligibility and cost, visit the FUSE website at http://www.fuseinc.org/new-social-skills-classes-forming/ For questions, call Denise Arland, Executive Director, at 317-462-9064 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 5 and 7, 3:30-5:30pm: Internet Lab Hours to complete work from eLearning Days
February 13: “On the Road to High School” Schedule info night at G-CHS for 8th graders and parents. 6pm-7:30pm
February 18: President’s Day (No School) Snow Make-up Day, if needed.
March 5-15: High School Scheduling Appointments (G-CHS Counselors with 8th graders and parents during school, at GCJHS)
March 18-29: Spring Break (Weather Make-Up Days During First Five Days – if needed)
Our school events calendar can be found at this link.
Monday, Feb. 4:
7th/8th girls basketball vs. Franklin Twp. East — 5:30pm
Tuesday, Feb. 5:
1. Wrestling vs. Eastern Hancock — 5:30pm
2. 7th/8th girls basketball @ Richmond Test — 5:30pm
3. Swimming @ Pendleton Heights — 5:30pm
Wednesday, Feb. 6:
7th/8th girls basketball @ New Palestine — 5:30pm
Thursday, Feb. 7:
1. 8th grade boys basketball (A/B teams) vs. New Palestine — 5:30pm
2. Swimming vs. Mt. Vernon — 5:30pm (at GCHS)
3. Wrestling vs. Benjamin Rush/Triton Central @ Triton Central — 5:30pm
Saturday, Feb. 9:
Wrestling @ Zionsville Invite — 9:00am
- During the winter months, students can be dropped off to wait inside the building beginning at 8:00 a.m.
- Breakfast is available to students every school day. Please remember to check your child’s lunch account regularly. The cashiers remind students when accounts are getting low. You can log in to https://www.ezschoolpay.com/Login.aspx to manage lunch accounts and set a notification for low balances. Students can also make deposits into their accounts with cash or checks in the lunch line.
- Yearbooks for the 2018-19 school year can be ordered for $27 at https://wpcgo.yearbookforever.com/c6WGq
We have multiple ways for you to obtain information regarding what’s happening at GCJHS.
Facebook – Greenfield Central Junior High School