Principals Update 10/28/19
BGCHC eLearning student supervision/activities
1. Thanks to everyone who helped or participated in the Run3forDC 5k on Saturday! It was cold and rainy, but we raised a lot of money for 8th graders to go to DC in May.
2. Thanks to the 8th-grade parents who helped with our Reality Store on Friday! Students in Mr. Anderson and Mr. Poncar’s College/Career Exploration classes participated in this activity, and we are planning to offer it again in the spring. We received a lot of positive feedback from students.
3. The Fine Arts program begins tonight, at 6 pm. Bands will play in the gym at 6 pm. Then, in the cafeteria, the Strings will play at 7 pm and the Choirs will perform at 7:30 pm. Feel free to stay for one part or the whole evening!
4. The GCSC school board approved a construction project that will add on to or upgrade project all eight buildings in the next year. The junior high school will be adding an auxiliary gym to the south of the existing gym. We will also be adding additional parking east of the main lot, toward Franklin Street. They will be breaking ground for the gym in early November, so you may see equipment arriving soon.
5. Christmas assistance applications will be available at the junior high starting October 28. Applications are due November 15. Please contact Mrs. Fortuna (last names A-K) or Mrs. Smith (last names L-Z) for more information or to get an application.
6. Parent-Teacher conferences are scheduled for October 29 and November 6. Parents can come either day, anytime, between 4 pm and 7 pm, and to meet with your child’s teachers. To speak to a teacher, just stop by their table. If that teacher is busy, simply find another teacher on your child’s schedule and meet with them first. This format allows more parents to meet with more teachers.
7. We will have an informational meeting for parents of 7th-grade students interested in going to Chicago in May. This will be our third year to take this one-day trip to Chicago. If your child is interested in going, please plan to attend the information night, in the cafeteria, on Tuesday, November 5, at 7 pm.
8. Mark your calendars for the GCJHS Annual Veterans Day Program. The GCJHS Band, Choir, Strings, & Student Council put on a wonderful Student-led event. Please complete this google form if your student is interested in bringing guests! https://forms.gle/z7B73ButQyvY8sbJ7
9. If you would like to have your child get a flu shot on October 29, please register www.schoolcares.com
- Enter the enrollment code: IN10647
- Select location and clinic date
- Enter demographic information
- Enter insurance information. If no insurance, please indicate, you will still be able to receive the influenza vaccine.
- Authorization and consent. Your electronic signature is needed to complete the registration.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Hancock County Health Department at 317-477-1125 prior to the clinic date, or you may e-mail [email protected]
Clubs and Contacts
- G4C [email protected] and B4C [email protected]
- Spell Bowl [email protected]
- Yearbook [email protected]
- Acts of Kindness Club (AOK) [email protected]
- Makers Club [email protected]
- Builders Club [email protected]
- Best Buddies [email protected]
- Prism [email protected]
- Student Council [email protected]
- Writing Club [email protected]
- Robotics Club [email protected]
- October 28: Band, Choir and Strings Concert
- October 29: Picture Retakes
- October 29: Flu shot opportunity
- October 29 and November 6: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- November 5: Info meeting for 7th grade trip to Chicago, 7 pm
- November 7: eLearning Day (Students work from home)
- November 11: GCJHS Veteran’s Day Program by Band, Choir, Strings, & Student Council. Students may invite family & friends who are veterans
Here are ways for you to obtain information regarding what’s happening at GCJHS.
- Website– http://gcjhs.gcsc.k12.in.us/
- Twitter- @GCJHS_principal
- Facebook – Greenfield Central Junior High School
- Instagram– gc_jhs
- PowerSchool App- Get up-to-date grades for your child, missing or incomplete assignments, attendance, and school announcements. Search for “PowerSchool Mobile” in your App Store. Once you download the app, you can search by school or type in school code 3125.
Congratulations to the Cheer Squad for placing 4th at the State Competition on Saturday at Warren Central High School!
- Winter sports season has begun. Athletes must have a physical and RankOne online forms completed in order to tryout.
- Girls basketball will begin November 25. (open gyms have started)
- Wrestling will begin December 2.
- Club Swimming begins in January.
- This year, we will have two eLearning Days (November 7 and February 5). A change from last year is our schools will no longer be open those days for kids to come and work. We are working with some local agencies (like the Boys and Girls Club) to find a place for kids who don’t have supervision at home those days.
- Car rider traffic- Please drop your child off along the curb. In order to keep all students safe during pick up and drop off, we ask that you only park in the parking lot if you plan to come into the building or the traffic has cleared.
- Lunch Menu
- If you would like to bring lunch for your child, please contact the office to reserve a conference room. Students can choose friends to eat in the conference room as well.
- Breakfast is available to students every morning before school for $1.75.
Principal, Greenfield-Central Junior High School