Principal’s Update 3/31
Wow! What a difference in our world from two weeks ago. I hope that you and your family are healthy, safe and getting along. The next few weeks will be a new experience for all of us. See below for information we have so far:
Hancock County Resources for COVID-19
GCJHS Teacher’s Lesson Plans for week of March 30 https://gcjhs.gcsc.k12.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/GCJHS-Lesson_Assignments-Week-of-3_30-1.pdf
1. Sadly, the Washington, D.C. and Chicago Trips have been cancelled. Our tour company, Grueninger tours, is working hard with each vendor to get as much of the deposits back as possible.
2. Communication is important to us. In an effort to help you help your children, we will post a schedule for the week with topics and assignments posted for every teacher. While the document may be a little cumbersome at first, we hope it will be a great benefit to you. The teachers are listed by department and in alphabetical order. Along with the schedule, teachers also have their office hours posted. Please use this link
3. Some teachers and staff have created a Google Voice account. This enables them to call you from their personal phones but turn it off outside of their working hours.
4. Lessons and assignments will look different while we are doing eLearning. Please be patient with our teachers, since they are experimenting with the best ways to communicate the priority standards. We are looking to strike a balance between challenging our young teens and not overwhelming them (and you) with too much. Please feel free to email your child’s teacher if you have questions or concerns.
5. Most 7th grade students will have new Related Arts classes this quarter. Have your child watch for the invitation to join their Google Classroom.
6. Greenfield-Central Junior High School counselors are holding their office hours from 2 PM to 4 PM Monday through Friday. During this time, they plan to check in with students and families. Also, please know that they will be available during our eLearning days from 9 AM- 4 PM via email. ([email protected] and [email protected]) They will respond to your emails as soon as possible. Please let them know if there is anything they can do to help.
7. The Hancock County Public Library has resources they want you to know about:
The Hancock County Public Library has digital resources to help during this extended e-learning time. If you need Internet access, our Wi-Fi range has been extended to the parking lot at our Greenfield and New Palestine library locations. You can access the Wi-Fi signal from your car parked near the building.
Students have a digital library card and can access all of our online resources at https://hcplibrary.org/.
Click on the Online Resources, Reference and Research, Teens, and Kids tabs to see everything available.
Librarians are available Monday – Friday on our instant message chat from 12-5 p.m. to answer your questions. https://hcplibrary.org/reference/ask.htm
Brainfuse has online Live Tutors available every day from 2-11 p.m.
Culture Grams offers cultural information about countries, states, and Canadian provinces.
Hoopla has simultaneous use e-books, audiobooks, movies, and music. Each library card is now allowed 30 checkouts per month. A whole class can have the same item checked out at the same time.
Kanopy features “critically-acclaimed movies, inspiring documentaries, award-winning foreign films and more.” Up to 20 check-outs are allowed each month. This on-demand video streaming platform is also simultaneous use.
Mango & Muzzy Languages are for language learning. Mango has over 70 languages available. Muzzy has been developed for children and features seven languages.
NoveList is a reading recommendation database. Type in favorite authors, titles, or series to find read-alikes.
Overdrive offers single-use ebooks and audiobooks. The limit has been raised to 30 items.
Tumblebooks are animated picture books and read-alongs.
World Book Online is not just an online encyclopedia. Click on World Book Online from our Reference and Resource tab. You will see the Early Learning, Kids, Student, and Advanced platforms, and also an Activity Corner, Dramatic Learning with plays and reader’s theater, Science and Social Studies specific learning, and encyclopedias in different languages.
If you have any questions, please remember to reach out to our librarians weekdays 12-5 p.m. https://hcplibrary.org/reference/ask.htm
Everything is canceled or postponed until further notice!
Side note: If you were scheduled for lunch detention or after school detention, that is also cancelled! 🙂
The IHSAA has placed all spring sports into the status of “during the school year, out of season.” This means there can be no school-sponsored practices or contests. Currently, this order is effective through May 1. This rule applies regardless of whether a school is using e-learning or is just closed. Transporting a child to a student-organized sports practice would likely not be essential travel, and we do NOT encourage student-organized practices at this time.
We are in a holding pattern on collecting sports fees and uniform fees. If these fees were paid prior to March 13, we have record of that, and we will provide more information at a later date regarding the status of these fees.
All other school activities are also on hold. If a group had an end-of-season banquet, or try-outs for the 2020-21 school year, those events are all postponed until further notice.
Clubs and Contacts
- G4C [email protected] and B4C [email protected]
- Yearbook [email protected] or [email protected]
- Acts of Kindness Club (AOK) [email protected]
- Makers Club [email protected]
- Builders Club [email protected]
- Best Buddies [email protected]
- Prism [email protected]
- Student Council [email protected]
- Writing Club [email protected]
- Robotics Club [email protected]
Here are ways for you to obtain information regarding what’s happening at GCJHS.
Facebook – Greenfield Central Junior High School
PowerSchool App- Get up-to-date grades for your child, missing or incomplete assignments, attendance and school announcements. Search for “PowerSchool Mobile” in your App Store.
- 2019-2020 Yearbooks can be ordered online for $29. Follow this link to order yours!
- Meal kits are available every Monday at JB Stephens and GCJHS 11am-1pm and 5pm-6:30pm
- The technology department will have a drive-through clinic today, 1pm-3pm at GCHS, for any technology needs.
Principal, Greenfield-Central Junior High School