Principals Update 11/4/19
BGCHC eLearning student supervision/activitieshttp://gcjhs.gcsc.k12.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/20191022133704183-1.pdf
Applebee’s Dine to Donate Flierhttp://gcjhs.gcsc.k12.in.us/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Greenfield-Lacrosse-Club-Flyer11.pdf
1. Today, we had a convocation at the end of the day with a speaker discussing the risks of vaping. We encourage you to talk with your child about what they learned.
You may have seen that WTHR was at the high school last week, and they ran a story about our district’s approach to combating this issue. For each offense, we are suspending the student, confiscating the device, and our School Resource Officer issues a tobacco ticket. The ticket carries a fine of about $140. Fortunately, in all but a couple of situations this year, other students have reported the behavior to us. It’s great that most of our kids want to maintain a safe environment within the school!
Check out this clip from the Today Show for more information about how to spot a vaping device:
2. We will have an informational meeting on Tuesday, for parents of 7th-grade students interested in going to Chicago in May. This will be our third year to take this one-day trip to Chicago. If your child is interested in going, please plan to attend the information night, in the cafeteria, on Tuesday, November 5, from 7:00-7:30 pm.
3. There is one more day of Parent-Teacher conferences scheduled on November 6. Parents can come anytime, between 4 pm and 7 pm, on Wednesday, to meet with your child’s teachers. Generally, 8th-grade teachers will be in the gym and 7th-grade teachers will be in the cafeteria. To speak to a teacher, just stop by their table. If that teacher is busy, simply find another teacher on your child’s schedule and meet with them first. This format allows more parents to meet with more teachers.
4. We will have a Veteran’s Day program on Monday, November 11, at 9:30 am. Students with a family member who served, are encouraged to invite them to a reception before the program. Please register invited veterans here.
5. Christmas assistance applications will be available at the junior high from October 28 – November 15. Please contact Mrs. Fortuna (last names A-K) or Mrs. Smith (last names L-Z) for more information or to get an application.
6. D.C. financial assistance applications are available in the student Washington, D.C. Google Classroom page. We will have several $500 awards given to winners of the essay contest. Students should bring their typed essay and application signed by a parent or guardian back to their history teacher or student services by Friday, November 15th.
7. 2019-2020 Yearbooks can be ordered online for $29. Follow this link to order yours!
Clubs and Contacts
- G4C jFrye@gcsc.k12.in.us and B4C jSpencer@gcsc.k12.in.us
- Spell Bowl email@example.com
- Yearbook firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acts of Kindness Club (AOK) email@example.com
- Makers Club firstname.lastname@example.org
- Builders Club email@example.com
- Best Buddies firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prism email@example.com
- Student Council firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing Club email@example.com
- Robotics Club firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 5: Info meeting for 7th grade trip to Chicago, 7 pm
- November 6: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- November 7: eLearning Day (Students work from home)
- November 11: Veteran’s Day Program 9:30 am
- November 21: Applebee’s Dine to Donate (flyer required)
- November 27-29: Thanksgiving Break No School